Copyright © HT Media Limited
All rights reserved.
Toyota Motor Corp plans to manufacture electric vehicle (EV) components in India to cater to demand from both domestic and overseas markets, making the country a manufacturing hub for EV parts. The company is looking at shipping EV parts from India to Japan and some ASEAN countries. The carmaker will start by producing e-drives or electric powertrain parts used by different electric vehicle types such as battery EVs, plug-in hybrids and other hybrid models.
Earlier this week, the company announced that it will invest 48 billion rupees ($621 million) in India to localise the supply chain for EVs, which is also a part of its broader 2050 carbon-neutrality goals. “The aspiration is to make India the manufacturing hub for cleaner technologies. This is about creating the building blocks,” Vikram Gulati, executive vice president at Toyota Kirloskar Motor told Reuters.
(Also read | Toyota reports second-highest annual sales figures ever)
The company’s move coincides with the government’s offering to companies of billions of dollars in incentives to build EVs and their parts locally. As for Toyota, the bulk of the investment in India will be made by Toyota Kirloskar Motor and Toyota Kirloskar Auto Parts (TKAP), a joint venture of Toyota Motor Corp, Aisin Seiki Co and Kirloskar Systems.
In India, Toyota is more focused on launching its hybrid models first, which it believes are better suited to the country’s aim of reducing dependence on fossil fuels and carbon emissions, and a way to get people to adopt to EVs without dealing with range anxiety.
Gulati said this would also address varying consumer needs and enable “a faster transition towards an electrified future”. Building out the supply chain early will help the company become competitive in terms of volume and price in the country. The carmaker expects this to enable a “faster and smoother” shift for the Indian auto industry to electric-vehicle technology, Gulati added.
Copyright © 2022 HT Auto
Toyota to produce electric vehicle components in India: Details – HT Auto
Copyright © HT Media Limited
- India's Electric Vehicle Push Is Riding on Mopeds and Rickshaws – The New York Times
- Ola Fires 300 Software Engineers As Demand Plunges: Indian Startups Will Fire More Employees? – Trak.inOla Fires 300 Software Engineers As Demand Plunges: Indian Startups Will Fire More Employees? – Trak.in
- Hero MotoCorp, Hindustan Petroleum partner to set up charging infrastructure for electric vehicles – Economic TimesHero MotoCorp, Hindustan Petroleum partner to set up charging infrastructure for electric vehicles – Economic Times
- EVolve 2022: EV brands are telling women—hop on! – Moneycontrol
- Making EV Batteries In US Will Be 'Nicely Profitable' For Decades To Come, Says Munster: Could These 5 St – BenzingaMaking EV Batteries In US Will Be 'Nicely Profitable' For Decades To Come, Says Munster: Could These 5 St – Benzinga