New Delhi, India – A second wave of coronavirus cases in India has seen a record surge in recent weeks, making the South Asian nation the new global epicentre of the virus.
On Tuesday, India reported 1,761 COVID-19 deaths in the past 24 hours – the highest daily toll since the pandemic erupted more than a year ago – and 259,170 new infections.
On Monday, the national capital Delhi saw 240 deaths, the city’s highest since the pandemic began.
Residents in Delhi, which is under a six-day lockdown that began on Monday night, are fighting for hospital beds, oxygen, medicines – and even a place in its many crematoriums and graveyards.
Family members of those deceased due to the coronavirus have to wait for hours to perform the last rites, as crematoriums and burial grounds struggle amid the surge in deaths.
Health experts fear a rapid spread of COVID-19 disease would be devastating in the world’s second-most populous nation with a fragile healthcare system.
India began the world’s biggest vaccination drive in January, but has reported a shortage of shots. Meanwhile, diagnostics firms testing for the virus remain stretched as they struggle to deal with the spike in infections.
Several cities are reporting larger numbers of cremations and burials under coronavirus protocols than official tolls.
As COVID-19 cases rise among passengers, Hong Kong bans all flights from India, Pakistan and the Philippines.
India seeing more new COVID cases than any other country, with a seven-day average of almost 220,000 daily infections.
British PM cancels his first major foreign visit since taking power in 2019 as coronavirus cases surge in India.
Deaths and desperation in India’s capital as COVID cases rise
- Delhi News Highlights: AAP MLAs to meet President Murmu over 'Operation Lotus' in Delhi – Deccan HeraldDelhi News Highlights: AAP MLAs to meet President Murmu over 'Operation Lotus' in Delhi – Deccan Herald
- PFI Crackdown Round 2: Sympathisers as Target, Agencies Foil 'East Delhi Type Riots' Plan | Exclusive – News18PFI Crackdown Round 2: Sympathisers as Target, Agencies Foil 'East Delhi Type Riots' Plan | Exclusive – News18
- Delhi logs 649 Covid-19 cases, one death in a day; positivity rate 4.06% – Business Standard
- Delhi News Highlights: Delhi LG to take legal action against 4 AAP leaders including Atishi for ‘false’ graft charge, say officials – The Indian ExpressDelhi News Highlights: Delhi LG to take legal action against 4 AAP leaders including Atishi for ‘false’ graft charge, say officials – The Indian Express
- Pleasant Morning In Delhi, Minimum Temperature 23.8 Degree Celsius – Outlook India